Interesting Facts about Bury St Edmunds Town Centre
Posted on Wednesday, 11th April, 2018
We all love Bury St Edmunds Town Centre for what it is: a fantastic place to shop, eat, drink, work and visit. However, there is a lot more to our wonderful town than meets the eye, that’s why we’ve put together a few interesting facts about Bury St Edmunds town centre.
1) It is home to the smallest pub in Britain: The Nutshell.
2) The site of St Edmundsbury Cathedral has been a place of worship for almost 1,000 years.
3) Angelina Jolie stayed at The Angel Hotel while filming ‘Lara Croft: Tomb Raider’ at Elveden Hall.
4) The Theatre Royal is the country’s only surviving Regency theatre.
5) It is home to the only Cathedral in Suffolk: St Edmundsbury Cathedral.
6) Britain’s First internally illuminated street sign, The Pillar of Salt, is located near Abbey Gardens.
7) It is home to the country’s largest British-owned brewery: Greene King Brewery.
8) The Guildhall is the oldest continuously used civic building in Britain.
9) Moyse’s Hall was once the town jail.
10) Britain’s lowest road, the A1101, terminates in Bury St Edmunds town centre.
Want to find out more about what Bury St Edmunds town centre has to offer? Then click here to browse our website to find out about everything the town has to offer.