The top 10 things to do at the Bury St Edmunds Switch On
Posted on Wednesday, 4th November, 2015
The festive season is a fantastic time of year in Bury St Edmunds. With the switch on marking the start of Christmas in the town on Thursday 19th November, we’ve highlighted the top activities to enjoy during the event.
- During the afternoon and evening, there will be a range of market stalls from local businesses. You’ll be able to try a range of seasonal delights and start your Christmas shopping.
- Santa will arrive in his Galleon at around 6.30pm, where he’ll parade from the store, Cotswolds through the Buttermarket and onto the stage for the crowds to see.
- There will be entertainment from local schools and colleges throughout the afternoon. They’ll begin on stage at 3pm.
- Restaurants throughout Bury St Edmunds will be offering a range of delights on the night with mulled wine, mince pies and plenty of treats if you’re out for dinner.
- The penguins and reindeer will return for another year, bringing smiles to the faces of all the children.
- We’ve also got huskies coming to the switch on this year for all to see.
- With the switch on marking the start of the Bury St Edmunds Christmas, all the shops will be open for you to start your Christmas shopping and shops will stay open until 9pm this Thursday and for the next four Thursdays thereafter.
- Cornhill Walk Shopping Centre will be a hive of activity during the afternoon, with a magician and a face painter to keep the children happy!
- The switch on itself will take place at 7pm in the Buttermarket. We’re still to announce the person who’ll be switching the lights on, so watch this space!
- Straight after the switch on, we’ve got a Robbie Williams tribute act on stage performing to the crowds for the rest of the evening.
To discover more about the switch on and additional Christmas events to enjoy in Bury St Edmunds, visit our festivals page here or follow us on Facebook and Twitter.