Bury St Edmunds Rugby Club, Bury St. Edmunds
Bury St Edmunds Rugby Club
Bury St Edmunds Rugby Club is a local Rugby Union club that has been playing since 1925.
In 1925 Bury and West Suffolk Rugby Football Club took to the field to play their first game. Post war players used to gather and practice at Culford School but by 1963 the Club regularly fielded four teams from its new home in Bury St. Edmunds, at the Haberden with its 3 pitches and small Club house.
During the 1970’s the Club rebuilt its playing facilities and raised enough money to build a large new Club house which was further extended in the late 1980’s.
In 2006 with the aid of a grant for the R.F.U. the Club added a state-of-the-art All Weather Pitch to its facilities, one of only four in the country.
In the mid 1980’s Mini rugby was introduced along with Youth games. Shortly after this the leagues were introduced into Rugby Union.
The development of the Youth structure has brought its rewards as in 2001 the 1st Team with many home grown players were promoted to London 3 North East.
In 2007, the 1st Team again won the league and were promoted to London Division 2 North. For the first time in its history in 2007 the Colts won a national title taking the National Plate trophy at Franklins Gardens - the Home of Northampton Saints.
With youth teams, female teams and a leading 1st team in the region, the club continues to go from strength to strength with history being made each year.
Write a review on this memberpost review
Telephone 01284 753920
Website click here to visit
The GK IPA Haberden Southgate Green, Bury St Edmunds,