Abbey Gardens, Bury St. Edmunds
The Abbey Gardens, located in the historic centre of Bury St Edmunds, is an award-winning floral garden and ancient setting. Bordered by the River Lark, the Abbey Gardens were first laid out as a Botanic Garden in 1831.
The park covers six hectare's, combining superlative floral displays, ancient monument ruins, an aviary, a refreshment kiosk, bowling green, water garden, rose garden, sensory garden, a bird feeding area, tennis court, a section of the river Lark, a new children's play area and pergola.
In the Abbey Gardens you can also find a 'Garden of Reflection' which was opened in January 2015. The garden has been created to commemorate the murder of 57 jews in Bury St Edmunds on Palm Sunday, 19 March 1190 and all victims of genocide. The area also provides a dignified setting for the annual holocaust service on 27 January.
Inside the Garden of Reflection, there is a one and a half metre tall teardrop, symbolising the pity and persecution of human suffering and sorrow. The garden also includes two stone benches for sitting and reflecting and 57 cobble stones - one for each of the victims.
The Abbey Gardens is much loved by the local community and the many tourists who visit the grounds throughout the year. The beautiful venue also hosts a range of events including the annual Bury Festival and the Abbey Garden Fireworks.
The Abbey Gardens has received a Green Flag award every year since 2010.